Before you get too far into the paragraph, go ahead and hit "play" on the track above. It'll provide some familiar filler music while you read!
Tyler Larson -creator of the character Billy Saffyre- eccentrically resides in Windsor Heights, Iowa and is in full swing of perfecting his live show, objectively, to leave a high-octane musical crater in the midwest’s history books.
His solo musical act originated in March of 2012. He decided to go forth and form a solo act after taking a hiatus from his former musical creation ‘Billy and the Good Times’ (which dissolved in 2009). The music that Billy Saffyre plays is a sultry mix of pop, rock, and is full of what some have referred to as “man-tastic” antics. His show consists of him, a piano, a story or two, and a fog machine. Rocketing high falsettos combined with dramatic whispering lows makes for a high-energy and ridiculously fun time. Billy Saffyre arranges piano/vocal versions of songs that were popular in the past ten years with a couple of gems from the seventies and eighties thrown in for fun. Of course, no Billy Saffyre show is complete without a special guest artist for a song or two. These talented guest musicians are specifically selected by Saffyre himself to ensure a high-quality and maximized entertainment experience.
Billy Saffyre has proudly graced the stages of several venues in Iowa and Nebraska. Some of these venues include: Opening for eighties rockers, “Hair Ball”, at The Bourbon and playing a strictly ‘zero electrical amplification’ set with a concert grand in the Steinhart Room at the Lied Center in Lincoln, Nebraska, and also playing packed houses to pay tribute to David Bowie and Prince at VEGA (Lincoln, Nebraska). He’s also played some of Nebraska’s favorite public venues such as: Duffy’s (with California classical-rockers, “Sit Kitty Sit”, and Maine’s finest electro-sensation, “Crunkwitch”), Mainstreet Cafe, Duggan’s Pub, Meadowlark, and Wilderness Ridge. He has also sent Iowa audiences into frenzies with performances and *spontaneous* karaoke appearances at: Grubb’s Pub, Mary-Go-Round, AJ’s on Court, Mickey’s Irish Pub, and Cabaret. Billy’s favorite shows, however, are packed house shows and private parties. If you ever get invited to private engagement featuring Billy Saffyre... just clear your schedule and do it!
One can never be sure where Tyler or Billy Saffyre may pop up:
• performing a full high-energy set live from the produce section of Fresh Thyme grocery store in West Des Moines
• tickling the ivories on a summer evening at Saint’s Pub in Waukee
• priming the karaoke crowd for a bombastic night of fun at Grubb’s Pub in Ankeny
• playing intimate acoustic sets to all ages crowds at Vaudeville Mews in downtown Des Moines
• performing high energy shows with The Dick Danger band in Des Moines (guitar, vox, & keys)
• popping up to play a set at shoulder-to-shoulder-packed house shows
• playing lead guitar for a band called Party Central and conquering some of Nebraska’s finest stages, including (but not limited to): The Red 9, The Alley, Duggan’s Pub, Mary’s Place, UNL’s Centennial Ballroom, Gibb’s Place, and My Bar.
• playing bass to a full house at Horseshoe Casino in Council Bluffs on New Years Eve with Nebraska’s greatest (and only) Poison tribute band ;-)
• performing a holiday set at the Botanical Center in Des Moines.
• touring with a bluegrass band (Red Wing) in Iowa for over a year as a sit-in bassist.
• running out of money in London and doing an impromptu show in a hotel lobby.
Billy’s discography includes: Billy Saffyre, Bagatelle Parlour, and Christmas Memories (Sipping Wine at Christmas Time)
When performing live, Billy Saffyre is: lead pianist, lead vocalist, & sometimes lead background vocalist.